6.25.2010

StereoType

One thing i really hate is when people feed their own stereotypes.
  • Mexicans with 6+ people in a four seater car
  • Asains that can't quite navigate the parking lot
  • Jews that will haggle you at a clearance sale
The following is an example of an African-american stereotype:

My friend and I are at Subway completing our order for lunch. The woman behind us (black woman) is being really difficult about her order. She's making requests like "let me have onions...not too many. And some olives, but only two or three". When she's done picking her toppings she proceeds to read ALL of the sauce/dressing options. "Ranch, honey mustard, sweet onion teryaki...whats that?" Then the lady gets to the chipotle sauce. "Chip-oh-tee", she says "that sounds good. Let me get the CHIP-OH-TEE sauce". My friend is at this point bursting on the inside with laughter, and I am using all my strength not to explode in the woman's face. 

Needless to say, this occasion still gives us a good laugh. However I'd like to use this story as a PSA that not all black people are illiterate and/or culturally ignorant. This is also to warn you that you may become like this lady if you don't go to school, or if you never leave the state of Georgia. 

That is all....................................................................... for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment